Saturday, March 15, 2014

Lent Day 10: 6 month old birthday cake

For Lent, I have decided to update my blog for each of the 40 days. The subject of my updates is answering the question, WIGIAT?, or Where is God in all this?

Today, I saw God in what I have. This isn't to say that everything I have is some sort of blessing from God that I've been given in return for fulfilling faithful duties.

What I am trying to say, is that there is an awful lot that I have zero control over. There are people and situations that I minister with on a normal basis that I can really do little for. There are problems everywhere one looks, and as much as I'd like to solve them all, I just can't.

But, when Jesus was about to feed the thousands of people, he didn't say to the disciples what do you need to feed them, he asked them what they had already. And though the portions they could muster were more than meager before so many people, God created an abundance out of a couple of fish and five loaves.

So what do I have today. I have myself, and genuine concern, and hope for people who are at the end of theirs. I have love to give to my family, and I have a neighbor who I haven't seen since last fall, who has informed me that he is now 6, that he is one of the tallest kids in his class, and that the piece of birthday cake he had at my son's birthday party in October, was delicious.

There's a lot I can't control, and the needs of the world and even the community and the people around me are too overwhelming to think about solving. But I do have a lot of people that make me smile and see the beauty that is in the world. That is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment